9 ways on how to Combat Anxiety Attacks
Anxiety can probably be described as a state of persisting fear of a possible threat. Now this threat can be real or imaginary. When this state overpowers you you have anxiety attacks. Some common symptoms include hyperventilation, consistent sweating, feeling of being smothered, dizziness and many more. Now anxiety attacks can occur at any time. So here are some of the suggestions to follow if you face such a situation:
- Deep Breathing: Whenever a person has an anxiety attack, the first thing one should do is have a deep and slow diaphragmatic breathing. It is also advisable to breathe in through your nose and breathe out through your mouth.
- Acknowledge what is happening: Sometimes by just saying out loud whatever is happening in your body and mind can ease out the effects and you might feel better. If that is too tough, you can also try writing all the feelings going through you at that particular moment.
- Distract yourself: At such times, indulging yourself in some kind of activity might help. This could be playing a game in your smartphone or backward counting from 100.
- Music as a savior: Play soothing music, preferably without lyrics, low on tempo and with at least three instruments playing. Now try to pay attention to each instrument playing at a time. This may calm you down.
- Being mindful of your surroundings: Look around you and feel the presence of things that are available nearby. Touch and feel some of the things like a chair or your clothes for an instance. This helps in convincing your mind that you are here right now and everything is okay.
- Visualize a state of happiness: Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Now begin to picture place in your mind that makes you peaceful. It may be seashore or a hill covered with grass with a soft breeze. Try filling in as many details as you can, the temperature of the breeze for instance.
- All is well: Keep reminding yourself that it is going to be okay. If you follow a religion, chanting a certain mantra that you feel connected to can do wonder. Otherwise a simple sentence like, “Everything is fine.” can also help.
- Having helpful items handy: Keep things such as lavender oil, lemon balm, peppermint oils and etcetera with you. Apart from that using a fidget toy or any such thang that distracts you can be helpful.
- Stop running away: Realize that your fears are not something you can escape. Realize that they are your own defense mechanisms acting since you have convinced yourself that there is potential danger ahead. They are just being too careful.
Anxiety attacks affect every person in a different way. Having listed a number of ways which can be helpful, it is always advisable to take medical help as soon as possible.