Overpowered by a Game: 9 things every game addict does
Games are considered to be one of the most interesting recreational activities. Playing video games on your computers, smartphones or any gaming device can keep you engaged for hours. This can also jeopardize your health and develop addictive tendencies. Although there are a small percentage of gamers that actually become addicted, the risk is nonetheless real.
Game addicts show somewhat similar attributes as shown by other addicts. Some of the traits that can be observed in a game addict are given below:
- Lost in levels: Game addicts are often seen indulged in gaming so much so that they do not care about eating, sleeping, and other daily chores. They are either obsessed with finishing a level, accomplishing a certain mission and/or are driven by a constant fear of missing out.
- Imitation of the game: Game addicts sometimes tend to act like the characters of their games. This especially happens with children less than 12 years of age.
- All-day they dream about games: When not playing, their minds are constantly occupied by the thoughts of a particular move and strategy that would help them win. So, any other activity they do, they wouldn’t invest themselves completely into it. Hence, they become quite inefficient in other activities of life.
- Intolerant: When refrained from playing, game addicts may act weird. They might get enraged or bored. Especially children tend to be very aggressive.
- Uninterested in other hobbies: The games are designed in a way that makes a player addict. These games take over their minds in such a way that they lose interest in the activities they previously found to be engaging.
- Anti-social: Game addicts generally prevent themselves from indulging in social activities and family gatherings. However, in today’s era, with the advent of smartphones with sophisticated technical specifications, they can be observed playing on their phones even if they do attend such gatherings.
- They start telling lies: Game addict, like any other addict, can go to any heights just to play a game. This includes lying, cheating on members of the family and friends and/or even stealing money.
- They become apathetic: A game addict gets so much lost into playing a game that he loses a track of time and space. This eventually makes him miss important things like family, education, career, and relations.
- Health Issues: Since a game addict is only concerned about playing games, eventually his health starts to degrade. Signs of fatigue and migraine are some of the most common symptoms seen in a game addict. Other than that, feeling of depression and/or anxiety can also be seen.
Game addiction is an issue not addressed by many. This is probably because the effects are not as severe as alcohol or chemical abuse. But it is something to be taken seriously. It is suggested that such people should be given proper medical care.