Tips and Tricks for a Successful Moving During the Quarantine
Moving in itself can be quite a tedious process. It’s always connected with a fuss, worries, and fears — what if something breaks or you forget something important at your old place. But you still have to pack things up, find competent workers, and stay calm at all times. Quarantine conditions make the situation even more complicated. Not all companies that could help you out are working, and much of the necessary equipment can’t be easily bought directly. The issue of safety during moving plays a significant role too. So how do you organize a proper moving in the quarantine period?
Reasons to Move During the Quarantine
Now, of course, if the relocation is not urgent, it is better to find an opportunity to do it in a more favorable time. But, as you know, circumstances can get really complicated sometimes and we just have to do what has to be done immediately. You might have different reasons to move during the quarantine:
- the premises were sold before the quarantine and other tenants should be moving in by now;
- you might have lost your workplace and now have to find a cheaper place to live;
- because of transportation problems, you need to move closer to your elderly relatives to help them out;
- changing places has been planned for a long time and cannot be canceled (for example, spouses move in after the wedding).
In all these cases, people are faced with a rather difficult task of organizing the move so that it would not only pass as quickly and smoothly as possible but to also do it in a safe manner.
Should You Do It Yourself or Address the Specialists?
One of the main problems of moving is definitely the process of loading and unloading things. There is a big chance that you will face problems dealing with some especially heavy, bulky, or fragile items. Under normal circumstances, the question of whether to call for specialists does not usually arise. However, during the quarantine, any contact with outsiders is a considerable risk that not everyone is going to take.
And indeed — you shouldn’t take any chances. It is very important that the movers who will work for you, have all the necessary protective equipment such as sterile masks and gloves, and also use a sanitizer. In any case, you should consider having a bottle of antiseptic yourself, just to be safe. After the unloading is finished, be sure to treat all the surfaces of your things with a decontamination solution to minimize the possibility of infection. And, of course, you shouldn’t disregard the protective equipment during and after moving yourself.
You can also try to organize a move during the quarantine on our own. But there is a serious issue to consider. As a rule, we ask for help from friends or relatives to do the loading and unloading. But in a pandemic, such a decision is a risk for both the person shifting places and the people who have agreed to help. In addition, getting to your current place can be a challenge for people. The transportation is often obstructed and some cities even have roadblocks between different areas.
Specialists can also help you assemble furniture on the spot, hang cornices and mirrors, etc.
So, choosing the appropriate solution for your moving situation, it is still better to contact the specialists who will get the work done for you. Only remember that during the quarantine, companies often work with interruptions or on a shortened schedule. Therefore, you should leave your move application a few days before the expected date and give the manager as much information as possible about the size of your luggage, the number of fragile items to pay special attention to, and other details concerning the safety of your possession.
Tips and Tricks for a Successful Moving
Moving is always bound with a great deal of stress and anxiety. Here are a few simple but extremely useful ideas that will save both your time and nerves.
Boxes, bags, and bins for trash should be stocked up in advance so you won’t be running around trying to cope with the garbage. Remember that during the quarantine, there may not be some of the required items in the nearest store. So you should order everything you need online or get from a different place in advance. You can also tell the carrier exactly what you need so they can get it to you directly. However, it will be a little more expensive, so better just get everything ready beforehand.
Estimate the amount of packaging material you will need and order twice as much. You don’t have to find out that there aren’t enough bags or duct tape when you are in the middle of packing the stuff, and the building store nearby is not available.
When stacking things up in a box or a bag, beware not to pack it too tight. First of all, the packages may burst open due to the overweight. Then, the containers may simply become too heavy to lift and transport, which increases the risks of breaking something. It is also important to properly combine items, for example, to put small items in larger ones or wrap fragile things in blankets and other soft objects.
It is necessary to make the most detailed list of things you can and to get rid of the ones that have already served their purpose and are better off just be thrown away. You also should sort out all the clothes by seasons and put that is not currently useful in separate boxes. This way, you will save yourself some time on figuring out where you put the clothes you plan on wearing tomorrow. The same goes for all the other seasonal things, for example, if it is currently spring, you are unlikely to use a snowboard very soon.
It is best to mark the rooms of the new apartment in advance with colored stickers. The same color stickers should be placed on the boxes of things according to the rooms. For example, hang a red sticker on the kitchen door and also mark the boxes of kitchenware with the same color. This way, loaders can easily determine which room to put what items in.
In general, marking is the golden rule of moving. When there are a lot of things and you are short on time — you will most likely forget what is inside the boxes a week later. So it is always better to write out the contents of each box directly on it.
Things to Stock Before Moving
Before you move anywhere, you should stock up on everything you need. Given that under the quarantine, you will have to wait for a few days for all the consumable supplies, you need to carefully consider the entire list. Your list should definitely include the following:
- Boxes of cardboard of different sizes. Remember that they should not be too large so that loaders can deal with them.
- Bags for construction waste removal. With them, you won’t have to worry that the sack will break and things will be lost or damaged during transportation.
- Garbage bags. You can choose colored bags to make it easier to sort things into rooms.
- Duct tape. It’s better to choose the hardest one you can find. You’re gonna need a lot of it.
- Markers and felt-tip pens to mark the boxes.
It’s also important to decide on where the furniture is going to be placed in advance. It will be difficult to rearrange it even for a person in good physical shape. So it would be better if the loaders immediately put it in place. The future layout plan of the furniture is better made beforehand as well, so to not waste time during the moving process.
How to Pack Up the Stuff Properly
The first thing you will do after moving to your new premises is to find the most necessary documents and things you use every day. And in order not to waste time looking for them, you should follow these principles:
- Boxes are better marked from all sides. So you won’t have to waste additional time looking for markings when you are sorting things out in your new home.
- Put down a complete list of things in a special notebook, specifying what and where you have placed different stuff.
- If you strictly follow these simple principles, the moving is guaranteed not to turn into a chaotic mess.
Pay close attention to the packaging of fragile items. If you pack them yourself, be sure to point out to the workers what they should be treated with special care. You can use special markings for this purpose as well.
What Moving Companies Should Consider
During the pandemic, moving companies must take care of the safety of their clients. The measures taken to achieve the proper service level are the following:
- All company employees who are able to work remotely have been relocated to their homes.
- Disinfectors and personal protective equipment must be provided to all employees who work directly with clients.
- The logistics within the company are changed so as to minimize contacts between employees.
- Instead of a manager leaving to assess the scope of work, customers are offered online consultation through any convenient messenger.
- Drivers and loaders are required to maintain a safe distance from clients. In addition, everything is organized so that clients won’t have to communicate with employees during the event. It is enough to just sign documents and specify tasks at the beginning.
- All company services can be paid for online — no paper money is involved.
- The company should watch the health of its employees and if there is the slightest suspicion of illness or contact with someone who is sick, the employee is immediately put under quarantine.
When dealing with a moving company, it is better to know the phone number of the senior loader and driver to be in touch at all times in case of possible force majeure.
Things to Specify to the Moving Company Before the Event
If you address a moving company, you can not only order the loading and delivery of things but also use their services to do all the packaging. In this case, you won’t have to look for the bags, boxes, duct tapes, and so on in advance, which can be quite difficult to do during the quarantine. In addition, the experts already know exactly how to pack things, so that they don’t break during transportation. The manager of a moving company needs to be given accurate information on:
- the amount of furniture that will need to be transported;
- the volume of things (in order to estimate the required number of trucks);
- the size and weight of the largest items;
- the number of stories in the buildings (the initial and target houses);
- availability of cargo and passenger lifts in the houses (for multi-story buildings).
If all the above information is given correctly and in time, a manager can immediately specify the exact cost and estimate the amount of time it will take to move all your stuff, considering also the number of active employees who are not under quarantine at the moment and other things.
Moving is not the most straightforward task for someone who has never dealt with it before, not to mention doing it during the quarantine which adds numerous nuances to the already complicated process. But if you do have to move nevertheless, you should take care of all possible precaution measures.
The difficulty of moving will be accompanied by the inability to ask for help from some people you would normally contact in this situation, as well as the trouble of purchasing packaging materials. It is best to address a reputable company to organize everything you need in advance. Specialists will help you not only to move things but also competently pack everything following their usual methods that have been tried and tested. By contacting a moving company, you can save both your time and nerves, despite having to spend some extra money. But it is definitely better to choose the safe way when it comes to the task of such a scale.