Things to consider while giving your flat on rent
When we successfully buy more than one property a lot of us try to rent it out. Renting your place brings, in extra money and additionally, it also brings the place to use. Even though this looks like a simple ride, there are ample of things that you must take care of when renting a house to others.
Here is the checklist –
- Preparing the agreement – Agreements shields you against unwelcomed disputes. You can even take the help of your legal advisor when it comes to preparation of the agreement. Without agreement do not even try to rent out your house. Also, ensure that you are inculcating every vital point in the agreement with the terms clarified and well defined.
- Background check – Background check of the person whom you are going to keep as a tenant is significant. Go for the police verification. You should collect the photocopy of all the necessary documents of the tenant. Do not overlook this matter at all. For your own safety, it is vital that you take the troubles of getting the background checked.
- Necessary details – It is your responsibility to disclose the charges that you would include in the rent. In case you wish to divide the electricity bill into halves rather than including it in the rent then make sure that you disclose it to the tenant. Transparency holds a greater importance between both the parties.
- Rent and deposit – As the market is getting competitive, it is best that you do your research well in time. Decide upon the rent at the same time the deposit. Some renters take 5 months deposit amount while some take 1-year deposit. The choice is, however, yours.
- Notice Period – Deciding upon the notice period in advance is also important. In order to avoid any inconvenience in later stages, it is best that you decide it in advance. It is best to keep the notice period of 30-60 days. This notice period is the period that you would give to your tenant to search for another place before vacating this house.
- Tenure – Post the decision of rent and deposit amount, you got to decide the tenure. Some owners choose the period of one year while some agree for 5 years. It is however suggested that you must decide the tenure of one year and keep renewing the agreement annually.
It is best that you do a thorough background check of your tenants. A lot of owners do not prefer keeping unmarried couples as their tenants however if their character certificate and police verification are in place then there is no harm in renting the house to them. Make sure that even if the tenant looks good you do go through all the required documents.